Monday, January 21, 2013

American Boy

Alicia Keys, Brad Paisley, Katy Perry, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, and Beyoncé will sing for Obama's second inauguration. How far I am from the center! How far from the American boy I was! How America has changed!

Art is kept in a box of marble. Art is taste in the costume colors and shapes of the women. Art is appeal to the greatest numbers. Art is at Sundance, hard to get to, hardly to be seen. Art is its own little world. Meanwhile the real world grinds, the powerful demonstrate dignity and luxe.

Art is the center. Life is artful play. Art and love are everything that matters: high art and the people I know and my readers and the suffering multitudes. I am grateful for the work that keeps us lucky ones comfortable and free and services our convenience. I will these blessings to extend to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment