Saturday, August 04, 2018

Still Young

Must I buy into this narrative of decline and disintegration? It's true of me personally, but people can still be young. Can't the world?

Must I pay attention to disaster and chicanery thousands of miles away? It may well affect me, perhaps destroy my life, but there is not a thing I can do to change what happens at a distance. Here I can mow, clean, do laundry, cook dinner and wash dishes, plant flowers, and water the garden.

Must I feel implicated in the cynical worldview of our hopelessly corrupted leaders? I am an idealist. I think we should all be happy. Much must change to make that possible.

Isn't it obvious that competition for dominance, maximization of short-term gain, exploitation of resources, and reliance on growth are the wrong priorities, setting us at odds with each other, destroying the planet, and sending us all over the waterfall? Not all. The rich and their toadies will preserve their privilege and watch the rest of us drown.

How can I be more open, loving, generous, accepting, and light-hearted?

No comments:

Post a Comment